Thursday, 18 December 2014
Surviving Christmas
I’ve never been in favour of prohibition and most people accept that everything is fine in moderation. I agree most of the time but for me the saying breaks down when I ask “What’s a moderate amount of Cocaine?” yet few people realise that sugar is thought to be many times more addictive and there’s seldom a shortage of sugar treats at Christmas.
Sugar not only makes us fat, it makes us sick as well. In the immediate aftermath of a sugar treat our immune systems are disabled and we are vulnerable to infection. Sugar is a poison. The toxicity comes from the fructose molecule which the body can only metabolise slowly and in small amounts. In our diet we typically eat far more fructose than we can manage so many people are suffering needlessly from the diseases it causes. So, I for one, will choose a low-sugar Christmas but I don’t expect others will, so my aim here is to help folk to enjoy Christmas while minimising any lasting harm.
Here I find Paul McKenna’s advice to be very simple and true –
• Only eat when you’re hungry
• Savour every mouthful
• When you’ve eaten enough, stop eating!
Our intention here is to build a right relationship with food where we can appreciate its life-sustaining function and deeply enjoy it. Ask yourself another question – “Will eating this lead me to the health I want?”
Christmas is a time of new beginnings. We have the image of a vulnerable infant born into a new family. Our natural instinct is to be loving and caring, full of wonder and awe. Christmas is an opportunity for families of all ages to be loving and caring together. So let’s have that quality-time experience –whether it’s helping in the kitchen, building model railways, walking with children as they ride their new bikes, sharing time with the elderly etc. The aim is fun, relaxation and happiness, which reflects a deep love and respect for ourselves, our families, our communities and the broader society in which we live.
Since we are what we ingest, let us take care to nurture ourselves properly in body, mind and soul. Let’s eat life-giving food, think our best thoughts and acknowledge our common humanity through acts of charity. Together we can build right relationship not just with food, but with our families, neighbours and communities in a way that changes the world. If we can do this, then we will not just survive Christmas but truly thrive.
I wish you a Happiness, Peace and Deep Healing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment